It’s another rainy day here in Decatur, but I really don’t mind. Now that I have to water a real, grown-up garden, front and back, I LOVE the rain :)
STONE MOUNTAIN – CHEROKEE TRAIL
Once the rain stopped, Ryan and I went for a 5 mile walk on the Cherokee trail in Stone Mountain. This place is really underrated. Sure there’s a goofy theme park with strange “Western” shows, but the natural areas, which dominate most of the park, are absolutely beautiful!
Here are a few pictures of the Cherokee Trail:
We didn’t expect the hike to be so pretty! For half of the hike, the trails follow two lakes. For about a quarter of the hike, you’re hiking along the edge of Stone Mountain. You cross the one mile walk up trail that climbs 825 feet in that one mile, so if you’re looking for more of a challenge you can finish your hike with a climb to the top!
After this beautiful hike, Ryan and I were pretty hungry. Tonight’s dinner was a Smoky Tomatillo Chicken recipe that is simple and full of flavor!
SMOKY TOMATILLO CHICKEN RECIPE
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 16 oz jars salsa verde
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 5-6 drops of Chalula hot sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cabbage leaves
- Heat a large skillet with coconut oil over medium heat.
- Cut chicken into large chunks (optional, makes cooking and shredding easier).
- Cook chicken for 5 minutes on one side. Flip over, cover skillet, and cook for 10 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Set chicken aside to cool.
- Combine salsa and remaining ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Shred chicken and add to salsa mixture.
- Add all ingredients into a large sauce pan, and warm over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve over cabbage leaves (for Paleo) or tortillas (for everyone else!). Add more salsa, if desired.
It’s simple to prepare, smoky, a little spicy, and very yummy!
Question: What’s your favorite easy chicken recipe?